Thursday, September 18, 2008

WHAT HAPPENS TO CHRISTIANS WHO DIE?

And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died (fall asleep NIV) so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 (NLT)

1. “THOSE WHO FALL ASLEEP” REFERS TO THOSE CHRISTIANS WHO’S BODY HAS DIED
While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 7:59-60 (NIV)

Jesus answered, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." 12His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." 13Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep. 14So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, 15and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."

John 11:11-15 (NIV)

2. WHEN THE BODY OF A CHRISTIAN DIES, THE SPIRIT GOES TO BE WITH JESUS IN HEAVEN.
While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Acts 7:59 (NIV)

Then Jesus shouted, “Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!” And with those words he breathed his last.

Luke 23:46 (NLT)

Jesus took Peter, John, and James up on a mountain to pray. 29And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white. 30Suddenly, two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared and began talking with Jesus. 31They were glorious to see. And they were speaking about his exodus from this world, which was about to be fulfilled in Jerusalem.

Luke 9:28-31 (NLT)

But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? 41We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” 42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” 43And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Luke23:40-43 (NLT)

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

Philippians 1:21-23 (NIV)

When the Lamb opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of everyone who had been killed for speaking God's message and telling about their faith. 10They shouted, "Master, you are holy and faithful! How long will it be before you judge and punish the people of this earth who killed us?" 11Then each of those who had been killed was given a white robe and told to rest for a little while.

Revelation 6:9-11 (CEV)

3. WHEN THE LORD COMES AGAIN, HE WILL GIVE ALL SAVED CHRISTIANS, DEAD & ALIVE, AN IMMORTAL BODY THAT WILL NEVER DIE (spirit & body reunited)
16With a loud command and with the shout of the chief angel and a blast of God's trumpet, the Lord will return from heaven. Then those who had faith in Christ before they died will be raised to life. 17Next, all of us who are still alive will be taken up into the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the sky. From that time on we will all be with the Lord forever.
18 Encourage each other with these words.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 (CEV)

No comments: